GO Words- Promoting Smooth Classroom Transitions, While Engaging in Academic Vocabulary Instruction...It's a Win-Win!

Transition time in the classroom can often be a nightmare, as students have more opportunities to socialize and not focus on the task at hand. I struggled with this in my classroom, so I decided to make a change. With a strong vocabulary focus in my classroom, I decided to create a tool that would assist students in transitioning from one activity to another, while engaging them in learning and using academic vocabulary.

The GO Word introduces students to an academic vocabulary word and its meaning, and the teacher instructs students on hand motions which align with the meaning of the current GO Word. After instructions have been given for the next activity, the teacher will say the GO Word aloud, and the students will repeat it back. Next, students will state the meaning aloud while engaging in the accompanying hand motions, which align with the definition of the word. Students are not allowed to move onto the next activity until every student participates in the GO Word routine, and they must remain quiet while they transition.  Sometimes we end up doing it a few times!  J


I know...you may be thinking that this sounds like something only primary kiddos would enjoy, and that’s what I thought, too, but my 6th graders LOVE it! So how did I get them to fully buy in? I let them compete to create the hand motions for each GO Word.

In my classroom, I have a GO Word wall, which includes the focus GO Word, the meaning, and pictures of teachers and/or students doing each hand motion for the word.  In order to be spotlighted on the GO Word wall, students must develop hand motions, by writing out detailed directions for each hand motion, or drawing pictures of what each hand motion would look like.  Check out these awesome ideas my students developed







This activity usually gets assigned for homework or as center work during my Guided Reading groups, and when all students are complete, I have them demonstrate their hand motions in front of the class.  During this time, I am able to choose the hand motions that are most effective in defining the meaning of that GO Word.  It is also important to consider the students who worked hard on the assignment and could use the confidence boost. Sometimes I choose multiple students, and combine their hand motions. 

I always make sure to take pictures of the winners engaging in each of the hand motions, and put them up on my designated GO Word wall to celebrate their creativity, and as a model for the rest of my students to follow.



Using one GO Word every two weeks provides students ample time to engage in learning the word and to apply the word in their speaking and writing.  The included GO Word Exit Tickets allow students to practice and assess their knowledge of each GO Word.



The benefits of using GO Words are incredible and this tool has made such a positive impact on my students:
*Promotes smooth transitions from one activity to the next
*Provides academic vocabulary acquisition and practice
*Engages students of all ages and learning styles
*Elicits speaking, thinking, and writing
*Builds confidence
*Promotes a positive classroom community

You can check out my GO Words unit here.  I hope this tool assists you in calming the chaos of transition time.  I would love for you to share your stories and your students’ hand motion ideas, too!



No comments

Post a Comment